After many unplanned creative diversions, the sweater I started in November is finally finished**. It’s entirely my own design. It was a circuitous path but it was worth it. It’s comfortable. It fits well. It’s close to what I had in mind when I started. Best of all, it looks good on!
The construction is both top down and bottom up. The pieces met in the middle and were grafted together. The body and sleeves were done bottom up and steeked. The yoke is a top down raglan. Not what I originally planned but it totally worked!
The yarn is Lett-Lopi, direct from Iceland! It’s perfect for steeking! I reinforced my stitches with a simple backstitch before cutting it open. Picking up stitches for the button band is another layer of reinforcement. That’s all I’m going to do to it. Being a sticky wool, the loose ends are perfectly happy where they are. I’m not worried about slipping or unraveling of any sort. I’d certainly never attempt this with superwash. No, this is Lopi in it’s glory. This is what it excels at.
You can see my reinforcing stitches on the right hand side…the little row of light green yarn. And you can see my cut ends, just chilling there on the edge. Before I added the button band this sweater kicked around for 2 weeks. If it didn’t unravel then, it’s not going to unravel now. Lopi is magic. Plain and simple.
I thought about a decorative bit of ribbon to hide the mess but meh. I don’t think it’s necessary. The sweater hangs so well. Nothing flips up or curls in where you don’t want it too. I don’t think the inside will be seen often. Everything lays perfect and flat.
Speaking of perfect and flat, check out this awesome button band…no puckering, no gaping, no unintentionally ruffles.
And it only took one try! It turns out, math totally works. I’m just as amazed as you are!
I love the sleeves. They’re long. Worn cuffed, they’re long. Worn with the cuff unrolled (thank you seed stitch for being lovely AND reversible!), the sleeves fall almost to the end of my fingertips…No need to carry fingerless gloves if you’ve got long sleeves! This is the sort of personal touch that I love about knitting my own sweaters.
The only thing I forgot to do was short row shaping at the back of the neck. I wouldn’t mind a little bit more coverage at the back of my neck. That’s a minor detail. Maybe next time.
I have a feeling I’ve found my next favorite sweater! Now…time to start plotting the next one! It’s gonna be more green…
** My finish proclamation totally gets an asterisk. The observant among you, and the OCD, may have noticed the stripes don’t match up. D’oh! My perfect button band apparently is not spaced evenly. I put my buttons at regular intervals, not thinking to check if the stripes lined up. Whoops.
As luck would have it, I was debating changing the buttons anyhow. I think the antler buttons are too busy. I should have gone with the wood buttons. They’re birch branches from Iceland, they really belong on this sweater. I bought they from a farmer on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. Icelandic buttons definitely belong on an Icelandic Sweater.
So, this weekend, I’ll take the antler buttons off and put the birch buttons on and I’ll end make sure the stripes line up this time. THEN, my sweater will be “done”. In the meantime, I still plan to wear it…crooked stripes and all!