Southern Skies Expansion

Progress continues with my renewed enthusiasm for the Southern Skies shawl!  I stretched it out on two long cords to check out just how much progress I’d made.  It seemed like a lot…

…until the yard stick came out.  Circle shawls need to be extra huge…this is no where near done.  Except, I’m nearly out of yarn…

IMG_7598

That’s all I’ve got left.  That’s it.

Apparently, I decided 660 yards would be just enough to cover the patterns recommended 1200 yards?!?!

True Story.

And then, just to reinforce how far off I am, I did a little math.  I’ve completed charts A, B, C & D for a total of 17,856 stitches.  I’ve just started chart E , with 576 sts/row, has a whopping total of 31,104 stitches.

Meaning I’m not even half done, I’ve got just over one-third completed but I’ve used half the yardage necessary.  Thank you, loose knitting for reminding me, I’ll actually need 300 yards extra to compensate for my gauge!

What the heck was I thinking?!?  I’m pained to have so many projects run short of yarn lately, knitting from the stash is expensive!?!  (The crochet shawl is still stalled, just waiting on more yarn in the mail.)  This is definitely an argument for planned shopping and hesitant stashing.  One day, I’ll be better at that.  In the meantime, the decision is pretty clear here.

 

This is too gorgeous to abandon now and that’s nothing compared to how it feels!  It’s purple cashmere…there’s no way it’s a bad decision.  It just stings a little, champagne taste on a beer budget, ya know?  So, while I sulk over having to buy more cashmere (really?!?), I’m swatching with these goodies from the stash…

IMG_7596

Some of Mom’s hand dyed Unicorn Farts and rainbow beads I got in a de-stash last year!

IMG_7597

It’s a holiday weekend, why not have a little cast on party?  It’s been 5 whole days since my last cast on!  5 AND a half, if we’re being precise!  What could possibly go wrong?

Momentum

I had such a productive weekend and I’ve been able to keep that momentum going.  Even better, I’ve channeled it into old WIPs that have been languishing!

My Rockefeller got a new inch!  At 330 sts/row, that’s a substantial task!  In garter stitch, on size 3 needles?!?  This is a relatively new WIP though, it hasn’t become a chore just yet.

IMG_7583

My Southern Skies, on the other hand, with it’s jar of beads, crochet hook and 4 page chart, definitely fell into the chore category.  The yarn, Superior Cashmere, a skinny little cashmere-silk blend, is far to luscious to be considered a chore!  That was enough to get me started!

IMG_7584

After an inch or so, I finally found the groove.  There’s a lot of moving parts with this one, flip the chart page, move the highlighter tape, positioning the crochet hook and beads for optimal usage!  I’ve figured out the perfect configuration of everything just in time to make the switch to the fifth chart section, this is the section where the chart spans 8 pages!

IMG_7585

It’s suddenly way less daunting.  The knitting is just stockinette in the round, it’s actually my favorite thing to do!  Safe to say, I’m back in love with this project!  Let’s see how long it lasts…

Southern Skies

IMG_5275

I’m patiently waiting for The Doodler MKAL  to start on Friday by catching up on some older projects that haven’t gotten much love lately!  Ha, yeah right!?!  I’m actually avoiding the lace section of the Jolly Roger shawl.  I worked the first lace row with gusto and then promptly put it down!  I haven’t touched it since.  Instead, it’s back to the Southern Skies shawl.  

IMG_5276

I absolutely love this yarn combo.  It’s Superior Cashmere and Panda Silk.  I doubt I’ll be able to part with this when it’s finished.  Of course, it’s a huge assumption to say it’ll get finished!

IMG_5277

I worked for several hours this weekend and accomplished maybe 10 rows.  That puts me one third of the way through this section where one row is four pages long.  It’s kind of crazy how long the chart is for a non-repeating row of 288 stitches!  Double that for the next section, 576 stitches, each row is spread across 8 pages of chart!  Egads!

And suddenly, I remembering why this is a back burner project!