I’ve talked about a Bill Murray sweater a lot. The time has come to put my money where my mouth is. I think, maybe, the hard part is done…the Bill Murray part.
Someone recently suggested that I had a lovely poster of Bill Murray. So just to be clear, this is a portrait of Bill Murray THAT I KNIT. This is not a poster! If you want to read Bill’s origin story, you can find it here. Then there was the time I decided Bill needed to become a sweater, here, in 2015.
I’ve been thinking about it a long time. I’ve explored a few ideas but ultimately, I’m keeping the original idea I had back in 2015.
The Bill Murray sweater is actually going to be a Bill Murray vest.
The new portions of the project will be worked in a variety of grey, white and off-white stripes. I’ll never match the original yarn, so I’m not even going to try.
Construction is going to be started by picking up stitches around the edge of the piece, leaving armholes at the top corners and working outward.
I don’t want a shawl collar.
I do want to do my shaping via short rows.
Those were the basics I started from. From there, I got stitches on the needles.
Now that I’ve got the first couple inches, I’m starting to make shaping decisions. I’m adding short rows to the bottom edge so allow some flare. I’m not going to go all the way to ‘swing coat’ but I’ve got hips that need to be accounted for.
Apparently I’m a sucker for weaving in ends.
I’m having fun making stripes. Not sure I’m really making a garment just yet though. The top has definitely retained it’s squareness.
I don’t really have a plan for the shoulders. I’m not sure how to smooth the transition from the back to the front. I’m hoping the solution presents itself as I go.
I’ve got 23 days and 21 hours to figure it out.
Ready. Set. Go.