F is for a lot of things. Friday. Fun. Fabulous. Today, though, F is for Frenemies. That’s the nicest thing I can say about this FO. We’re not Friends but I’m trying really hard to not hate it. I don’t think it’s working though.
As you can see, I tried to do things the ‘right’ way, blocking and all that.
Turns out polypropylene doesn’t block. Who knew? I had a sneaking suspicion but I was trying to ignore it. I was really hoping. I really wanted it to work. Alas, it did not. This is not the hat I envisioned.
I did get the color right though! If the textures weren’t so distracting, it might be perfect.
Staring into the sun doesn’t give me a happy face but for what it’s worth, I think its a better looking hat when it’s on a head. Maybe I’ll change my mind.
Until then, I’ll take the blame for this failure. I knew it was polypropylene when I started. If I’d picked a yarn that was a better gauge match, it may have been better. I picked based on color, my bad! Maybe a more textured stitch, instead of stockinette which shows every imperfection. Maybe something like a dropped stitch that emphasizes loose and open OR an incredibly tight stitch to force it into place. I hit the middle, not really loose or tight. Maybe crochet is a better use of this yarn. Or maybe not mixing it with wool, just keeping it to itself.
There’s lots of alternatives to try. I still have a little bit left…it’s the longest 100 yard skein ever, so there’s that! ha!