FO Friday: Owl Mitts

The Owls got thumbs & a bath last night!  Today they’re resting peacefully while they dry.

IMG_4338IMG_4345

The pattern is Ruru by Kylie Bates.  It’s a free Ravelry download and well written!  It’s got full written instructions, none of the ‘reverse shaping for second mitt’ nonsense!  And as I ably demonstrated, you can easily adjust the finished sized by adjusting your gauge and going up a needle size.  I missed the toddler mark (the pattern is written in two sizes, one toddler and one child) but these will fit the toddler mama I’ve got in mind, so we’ll go for the mommy & me set of mitts next week with a second attempt at toddler size!

In the meanwhile, it’s time for the next phase of the Rhinebeck Sweater:  zipper installation.

IMG_4339 IMG_4342

This method came to me via Eunny Jang and this Interweave video.   As I re-watch it again, I see Eunny credit’s the TechKnitter, which totally makes sense because she has awesome alternative techniques to just about everything!  The basic idea is to add yarn to the zipper tape so it becomes something knitters are much more familiar with.  I’ve used this method successfully before on kids garments.  This is the first time I’m doing it for myself though.  It’s kind of a pain.  I was gung-ho early this morning.  I did about four inches and then decided vacuuming was a better idea?!?!  Bizarre.   I leave for Rhinebeck four weeks from today…pretty sure I’ll manage to get it done by then.  And if my apartment gets cleaned in the process, that’s not a bad thing either!!

10 thoughts on “FO Friday: Owl Mitts

      1. TechKnitter is pretty much genius every time! It does take some care to keep it from puckering, but that’s no different than sewing or picking up a button band, really attaching any two pieces. The suggestion is to match your row gauge, then it’s easy to sew row for row, I can’t get my zipper stitches that tight, so I’ll have to do some easing. It may take two tries to get it right, but I’ve got time :)

        Liked by 1 person

    1. If I had known they were going to turn out adult size, I would have preferred buttons too. I was thinking the beads would be more secure/less of a choking hazard for a kid. Better luck next time :)

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s